Mac LCD

Information for using small character LCDs such as the HD44780 with Mac OS X, LCDproc and Growl. And other Apple and Mac USB stuff.

Saturday, March 3, 2007

Old Mac 68k as an LCDproc display

I am easily amused I suppose. Trying to find a use for the old compact Macs I have around (Macintosh 128K, 512k, SE, SE/30), I set up a connection (see below) to my G3 and ran the LCDproc daemon from the old Mac using curses as a display. Using my GrowLCDprocDisplay program, you can even display your currently playing iTunes songs!

Basic steps for a serial connection:

  1. Get a USB serial adapter and the appropriate driver for Mac OS X
  2. Use a null modem cable to connect the old Mac and your new Mac
  3. Run an old terminal emulation (Zterm, MacTerminal, MicroPhone) program on the old Mac
  4. Set up the /etc/ttys file to allow you to login over the serial connection. for instance:
    tty.usbserial "/usr/libexec/getty local.9600" vt100 on
  5. Restart launchd: sudo killall -HUP launchd
  6. Login from the old Mac and run LCDd with curses as the display

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home