Mac LCD

Information for using small character LCDs such as the HD44780 with Mac OS X, LCDproc and Growl. And other Apple and Mac USB stuff.

Thursday, April 7, 2005

LCD Project Proposal...

So I have this idea for a LCD controller project for my Mac.

  1. Take a USB -> IEEE 1284 parallel printer adapter, open it up and take off the centroncs connector.
  2. Connect it to a parallel character LCD which uses the Hitachi HD44780 controller.
  3. Write a program on the Mac to send data through usb to the LCD.

Why is this any different from all of the other LCD's I have seen?

Well, any LCDs designed for the Mac use a serial connection. May others use serial connections too. This would require a USB -> RS232 adapter . This doesn't seem very elegant considering the project this will be a part of (more to come...). Any that use USB are generally pretty expensive:

http://www.j-works.com/jsb815.html - $65 for just the controller!

http://www.usblcd.de/products/showprod.php4?gr=1&lang=en - 45 euro for the controller.

I imagine I should be able to make this for $10-$20.

potential problems:

  • The IEEE 1284 USB adapters are made for printing, and maybe this won't work with an lcd (I'm not sure this will be a problem).
  • writing to USB devices is a little less obvious to program than writing to serial devices using the darwin IOKit. I sould be able to work this out though. You just can't open up a terminal program and make it work though.
  • Parallel won't let me use a keypad on the device like a serial controller would. But hey, I can use usb, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home